In the End the Laundry Wins!
by. William Walker Jr.
![]() |
| Dallas Cowboys Ezekiel Elliott (21) is tripped Atlanta Falcons strong safety Damontae Kazee (27) during the first half Sunday, Nov. 18, 2018, in Atlanta. (AP Photo/Danny Karnik) |
I HATE JASON GARRETT. Let's get that out the way right away. I mean I don't hate the man personally I'm pretty certain Jason Garrett's a great guy when he's not breaking Cowboys fan's hearts with his terrible coaching. Jason Garrett as the head coach of the Dallas Cowboys however I hate. Yet after a Monday night debacle when the Cowboys got trounced by an average Tennessee Titans team coming off the bye, I was ready for the Garrett era to be over! Okay let me be honest I've been ready for the Garrett era to be over ever since his 3rd straight 8-8 season that ended in Washington D.C. when Robert Griffin III was actually good! With each Cowboys win the likelihood of a Garrett firing is fading into the background, putting most fans into a precarious position.
Do you take pleasure in your team's victory when you know it ensures the coach you HATE will keep his job? I haven't been immune to this dilemma after the Cowboys lost to the Washington Redskins in DC I was done! I canceled all my game day rituals tossed out my superstitious practices, and made the decision that the 2018 season had to be sacrificed to save the FUTURE! With each loss we'd come closer to Garrett being fired! Again after the loss to the Titans it seemed inevitable, Jason Garrett was ready to walk the green mile. He was at the World Series during the bye, it wasn't a good look for a 3-4 team, the loss didn't make it look better.
Going into the Sunday night game versus the defending Super Bowl...champs...(sorry I think I'm going to be sick, inhale deeply and exhale) Philadelphia Eagles, it seemed like a given that they were going to be killed! You know what for the first time that I can recall I was okay with it. The night before I had been at my 20 year high school reunion and one of my friends was teasing about the impending beat down the Cowboys would suffer, and I welcomed it! The dream was one embarrassing loss would lead to Garrett's firing. Yet the game starts and by halftime when you hear Pigeon fans booing their team, I couldn't help but smile! As much as I dislike Garrett I'll give him credit, when it seems like the end is near these players rally for him. It was easily one of the best games the Cowboys had played this year escaping Philly with at 27-20 victory. In spite of my strong wish to see Garrett gone I still relished in the anguish suffered by Eagles fans. Besides this is classic Garrett's Cowboys tease us with what could be only to pull the rug from under us next week against Atlanta.
Thus brings us to yesterday's game against the Atlanta Falcons. A team that also finds themselves fighting for their playoff lives! Back to the house of horrors for Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott, in Atlanta last year when Dak was sacked 8 times! A game that had Jason Garrett's ineptitude on full display. With Tyron Smith out backup left tackle Chaz Green was used and abused giving up 6 of Atlanta's 8 sacks! What made it so infuriating was the coaching staff's refusal to either pull Green or give him some kind of help until the game was out of reach! A loss that appeared to had broken Dak Prescott he didn't look like the same player. Dak even admitted to the Fox broadcast team before this year's Atlanta game how the sacks affected his play. Same as my shock with the win in Philly I was shocked that they beat this Atlanta Falcons team. Holding them to one touchdown and 4 field goals, this is a team that averages over 30pts at home! Even as I watched Brett Maher's field goal barely squeeze through the uprights as time expired for Cowboys 22-19 victory I couldn't help but leap for joy.
Yes I know this win coupled with the broken leg of Washington Redskins quarterback Alex Smith, and the humiliating Eagles loss of 48-7 the Cowboys are now in the driver seat for the NFC East. Look I don't think there are Cowboys fans alive that wants Jason Garrett to stay the coach. However what if just what if to spite all of us they keep winning ensuring that Garrett remains the coach! Will I not take joy in the Cowboys winning a championship? OF COURSE NOT! I'll be dancing and shouting like it's 1995 all over again! The best way to explain this feeling was best described by Jake Kemp a producer and co-host for the Dallas Cowboys post game show for Sports Radio The Ticket 1310am/96.7fm. He said when it's all said and done fans root for the laundry, and he's right! Even though, we all know this team will be BETTER with Garrett gone true fans still want to bathe in the team's success. Here we go Dallas six games left and the future in your hands. I want Garrett fired, but when the game starts I want to see good things for my Boyz. In the end the laundry wins!

No comments:
Post a Comment