Monday, November 19, 2018

Up-Lyfting Eats!

Up-Lyfting Eats!
Hatch & Coop's BBQ chicken sandwich
By. William C. Walker Jr.
November 19, 2018
Featuring: Hatch and Coop
You see a lot while driving for Lyft, especially when it's in a city such as Philadelphia. I've met interesting people, and taken notice of a multitude of restaurants. These places lie within the city like hidden gems waiting to be discovered. It was on one of my early Lyft rides that I met the executive chef and general manager of one of these gems Michael O'Mara of Hatch and Coop. Let me take you inside this self described chicken and egg joint in this new series of posts I'm calling Up-Lyfting Eats.
Located in Midtown Village at 122 South 12th Street you'll find what can be best described as an Upscale Chick-Fila yet not upscale in prices. Open seven days a week from 7am-9pm this place offers delicious food for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. The setting is casual and remarkably clean something that Michael and his staff take great pride in. The majority of the fares they present are created in house from all the sauces to the insanely delicious batter used to coat their chicken.
So let's get to the good stuff, there's a variety of sandwiches to choose from at Hatch and Coop. There full menu is available all day, but if your star is a chicken sandwich LET'S GET TO THE CHICKEN! I ate the Coop and their BBQ chicken sandwiches. To make their chicken Michael explained how they take this chicken breast brine overnight in pickle juice, pounded flat in the morning and then marinated in buttermilk. Next it's coated in their house made coating and deep-fried to golden perfection. Each sandwich is served on a buttered and toasted King's Hawaiian Roll. First up the Coop this chicken sandwich can be had regular or spicy served on a bed of homemade crunchy coleslaw and Hatch and Coop's house spread. All together each item fuses to create a delicious bite. I've never thought to eat a chicken sandwich with coleslaw on it but it works. It helps that this isn't your traditional coleslaw super wet and loaded in creamy dressing. Hatch and Coops slaw is fresh dressed in a tangy vinaigrette that's out of this world. The crispy cool slaw is a perfect companion to the piping hot and crisp fried chicken, there's a tang to the slaw that blends well with the sweet yet not overpoweringly so house spread.
While I greatly enjoyed the Coop I LOVED LOVED the BBQ chicken sandwich, in the words of comedian Tracy Morgan I loved that sandwich so much I want to take it home and get it pregnant! Once again we have this perfectly fried piece of chicken this time coated in homemade BBQ sauce and if the delicious coleslaw wasn't enough they kick it up a notch by adding their fried pickles. Texture wise the sandwich is a dream the soft bun, the crunchy chicken, slaw and pickles! It's sweet and tangy and I could've eaten at least 20 of these sandwiches if I was allowed. The sides that Hatch and Coop offer are not to be out shined by the sandwiches. The french fries were seasoned perfectly hot and crisp but not too much, so great whether dipping in ketchup or their house spread. Also, provided potato pancakes which were like mini hash browns again seasoning 100% on point. Next their fried pickles, now I've had fried pickles before typically they're lightly coated but you get more of a wilted pickle than anything else. Hatch and Coop's fried pickles are on another level. First they're well coated the pickle itself disappears into this golden brown shell that's loaded with flavor. As if this perfect fried nugget wasn't enough it's served with this onion vinaigrette dipping sauce that is dynamite! If there was one drawback it's that the pickle could slide out of the breading at times when trying to bite it, but the breading was so good I found myself still dipping and eating. Your best bet, eat it in one bite.
Even though Hatch and Coop is a chicken and egg shop they do offer up some dessert. Now while I was skeptical of coleslaw on my chicken sandwich, it paled in comparison to the level I skepticism that I had for Hatch and Coop's Ice Cream sandwich (pictured below). When Hatch and Coop says all their sandwiches are served on King Hawaiian Rolls they mean all their sandwiches! Yes I was highly concerned when I saw that included their Ice Cream Sandwich. Ice Cream on a BUN THIS IS MADNESS! But this along with their BBQ sandwich I could've eaten ALL DAY! First they have Vanilla Ice Cream rolled in cinnamon toast crunch cereal the bun is buttered and toasted totally differently from what they do for their sandwiches. It's extra crispy and then drizzled with this house made caramel sauce the ice cream in the middle with the crunchy cereal MIND BLOWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As if that weren't enough they offer another pairing with house made pumpkin spice ice cream and a sugar cookie! I know that much may think were over pumpkin-ed this time of the year, but I wanted jar upon jar of that pumpkin spice ice cream!
Thus ends my first account for Up-Lyfting eats! First out the gate Hatch and Coop is going to be tough to beat! But it's a spot you have to go to! I already know it's going to be a regular spot for me! There were items I didn't get to try that I have to go back and partake! Chances are I'll be devouring BBQ chicken sandwiches but WILL POWER MAN! Do yourself a favor and go to this awesome restaurant, check them out on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter! But most importantly get down to Midtown Village 122 South 12th Street Philadelphia, PA 19107 and enjoy!
Hatch & Coop's Ice Cream Sandwich, pumpkin spice ice cream and sugar cookie

1 comment:

  1. As always, a good read. Ur always well versed and descriptive.

    ReplyDelete